Tuesday 19 April 2011

'Don't Touch Me On My Studio"

You know that feeling of having to wear someone else's clothes or cologne when you unexpectedly slept over at their place?
This is the feeling I recently experienced when I had to handle someone elses' camera. It has happened before that it feels foreign at first to takeover a shoot with a camera that is not yours, but it had never happened with the state of mind I have been in recently. I am doing my masters in Photography and I am trying to look at safe space in which to bring the love for learning and teaching back in to photography in higher education.
So I picked up a camera that was not mine and I couldn't hold it they way I would hold mine, I didn't know where anything was for a few seconds, and my confidence just slipped away. Maybe it was the fact that I had not been practicing for a while, but that couldn't be it because I teach what I love, to learn to become like skin to me, so it wasn't that. I suddenly had a crazy thought, what if this was a real eye that belonged to someone else? Had the photographer and owner of that camera made such a spiritual bond that it became a part of him? This is what made me feel like I was invading the space  between his camera and him. Was the camera a jealous female (the hostility towards me was intense) Or was I just imaging things? I spoke to a photographer recently that has given his favorite camera a name, he calls her Monica. Could it be that the never spoken about belief, that the things we acquire take on a part of who we are? So do we have to get permission from the camera as well as the owner in order to use it? I ask because although the owner didn't mind me exploring his camera, I am sure I heard the camera say: "Don't touch me on my studio" please do share with me what you feel about this.

1 comment:

  1. All I can say_ is that's one hell of an opening dilemmas for a blog... I will need a little more time to think this over... but my first ? is_ Does that someone else have good taste in fashion and cologne?

    ReplyDelete